Thursday, June 16, 2011

Share Cropping: Tater and Bush Beans

Sharecropper Jon

My friend can't get to his garden this year, so I've become a sharecropper! His plot is about 25 miles from our house, and is a bit of a drive. However, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to try some "larger" scale growing. He used his tiller to re-break the soil and I used my trusty hoe to create seven 80 ft rows. It was good honest work.

I'm hoping to get enough taters from his plot to keep us in the carbs for the winter. I wanted to plant a more diverse patch of the little miracles, but Yellow Finns were the only seed our store had left. I'm liking the idea of planting in more than my own yard. It is not as secure felling, but it opens all sorts of opportunities for building trust and relationships.

Details: four hours of hand hoeing, 38 pounds of Yellow Finn seed, 100 bush bean seeds, in seven 80 ft rows.

1 comment: