Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Big Move Outside

Chicken tractor

The guys had to get outside. The garage was starting to smell pretty ripe. I would do a few things different about the brooder--make sure the waterer does not leak and use shavings instead of hay. The hay got so matted and refused to dry out. My auto waterer had a small drip that turned into a problem the last week and a half they were in the garage, so we all just roughed it out. I built the tractor from roof tubes were given to me by a local fruit stand owner. Half of it is covered with a tarp and the other half with 1 inch wire. I put a 2 by 8 skirt around it, but forgot to fix the tubes to it, which means I can't move it yet. A great twitter contact, @RFamilyFarm encouraged me to put some draft protection in the tractor, so I used a scrap piece of tin to "fence" off some of the covered section. Check out his site: http://ourfamilyfarm.wordpress.com/

They have been outside for almost a week and are doing well. They are eating twice as much and drinking like crazy. I had a heat lamp on during the first two nights-- we were having freezing weather. I suspect the lamp was more for me than the birds. I was so worried I would find them all in little ice cubes:)
They have way more personality than I was expecting. One bird likes to come up to me and look. I have no idea what he is looking for, but I'd like to think it he is trying to buy some time.
I recently reserved the scalder and plucker for May 21st and I am looking forward to seeing the process come full circle. I like chickens and so far I would do this again.

3 comments:

  1. Why is it called a tractor??? It doesn't look like a tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT work!!! Wow they are really doing well and its wonderful you have them outside. You did a great job on the tractor. Its satisfying to use 'found' materials for building, isnt it? We wish we could rent equipment here but so far we havent been able to find it. You will love the results. A+ for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kelly I found a thread which might help:
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=498733

    @Ohiofarmgirl thanks again for the encouraging words. Your email helped me problem solve!

    ReplyDelete